The world-famous investment guru Warren Buffett once said: “Beware of geeks bearing formulas.” He was referring to the danger of investing based on impressive-sounding formulas and scientific-sounding labels without fully comprehending the information they provide. The same goes for investments made by businesses!
As a finance professional, you need to gain a full understanding of the risks and rewards of an opportunity and interpret data carefully, making sure you understand what it is telling you. An additional challenge for finance professionals is that there is a whole suite of different investment appraisal methods that are commonly used. Each has its own complexities, drawback and benefits, making each appropriate for different situations.
In this course, we’ll take you step-by-step through how to use the key investment appraisal methods used in business, including their benefits and limitations so that you can choose the right one for the situation and use it appropriately.
Provides 12 hours of CPD
- Five key investment appraisal methods: net present value, internal rate of return, payback period, return on capital employed and accounting rate of return, to determine which investments provide the best returns
- The benefits and limitations of each of the above methods, so that you can choose the most appropriate one for the decision being made
- Profitability indices for comparing all of an organisation’s investment opportunities and identifying those that will make the best use of limited funds
- Real options and how they can be used to determine whether to delay, abandon or expand on an investment to ensure it is as cost-effective as possible in the long run
- The key qualitative, non-financial factors that must also be considered to ensure it is a fully informed investment decision – numbers don’t always show the full picture!
- How to determine when is the optimal time to replace an asset and what it should be replaced with, helping the organisation to make cost-effective decisions
Applying what you learn:
Sound investments are the bedrock of a successful, sustainable organisation and so, to help you consolidate your knowledge, this course will be accompanied by a set of questions to allow you to practise what you have learnt.
What’s included in the course?
- Thoroughly explores the concepts, theories and models for this topic
- The content is professionally explained by our expert tutors alongside a visual presentation
- Come with downloadable audio files so you can listen to the content offline and on the go
- Full coverage of the video content using engaging and easy-to-follow language
- A range of examples to show you how these concepts might apply to real-life situations, e.g. in finance
- A practical exercise for each module based on the subject’s application in a finance team
- A series of questions designed to test your understanding of what you’ve learnt on the course
- Designed to get you to apply what you’ve learned to scenarios and commit the theory to memory
- The visual presentation from the video can be accessed for note-taking and for browsing alongside the video or audio download
- Can be viewed as still slides or in an interactive format to move around the screen
Purchasing the course
To purchase this course, simply add the course to your basket with the button below and then either proceed to checkout or continue browsing for more CPD courses…
Astranti CPD Course:
What our satisfied customers say…
Excellent materials and lots of support when needed.
I used Astranti materials and I can honestly say they are an excellent course provider. The materials are expertly delivered, easy to follow and very motivating. Highly recommended.
Astranti is an excellent centre for anyone wishing to pursue their professional education and learning. I find its courses highly relevant and practical, the content well-organised and its administrative service efficient. Engaging in an Astranti course is truly a rewarding experience and a worthwhile investment.